Monday, October 12, 2015

Return to Route 66

 
In memory of Martin Milner
1931 - 2015
 
 
Starred as Tod Stiles in Route 66 1960-1964
Starred as Pete Malloy in Adam 12 1968-1975


After leaving the Grand Canyon late Wednesday morning we headed south back to Williams and went to Bearizona, a drive through wild animal park.  Driving a nearly forty year old motorhome with two Jack Russell Terriers onboard through an enclosed area with bears, wolves, bison, big horn sheep and wolves roaming around is not for the faint hearted.  No doubt there should be some kind of medal awarded or maybe a reserved place in some sort of an institution. After surviving our close encounter of the wild kind we drove through Williams again and headed west to Seligman. 
Welcome to Bearizona
 
 Quincy says "Let's stop for lunch!
 
Da Bear!

 
 I’m happy to report that Seligman is enduring as a stopping along Route 66.  I walked through town again as I had on my visit in 2006.  One of the shop owners asked where I was from.  When I replied “Seattle” he informed me that I was the first American to stop in that day.  He told me that the town owes its survival to the dollars spent by foreign tourists.  How sad that we as a nation ignore our own heritage.  Visited the Angel Delgadillo’s barber shop/souvenir stand store and bought various Route 66 trinkets. Angel Delgado is The Father of the Mother Road because of his tireless efforts in promoting Route 66. 
 
 
 
I went across the street and had an “Oink Burger” at the Snow Cap Drive In that was established by Angel’s brother Juan Delgadillo and is now owned and run by his children since his passing in 2004.  The Cortez generated much interested by the shop keepers and tourists alike.  Headed back east just before sundown to our next destination-Tucson.

 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment