Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Story You Are About to See Is True....



Saturday October 10, 2015 at approximately 7:00 PM headed west on I-40 at milepost 43, about 20 miles east of Quartzsite, the trusty Cortez EM-50 misfires a couple of times but then within a couple of miles stalls out and won’t restart.  Seems like it’s not getting a spark.  Called AAA for a tow.  AAA suggested looking for a shop in Blythe, California which I started researching and found a likely prospect. They dispatched a truck that was on scene in about an hour but had to call out for a flatbed to tow the Cortez. When I mentioned the shop I had come up with in Blythe the tow truck driver advised me not to go there.  When I asked why he stated “Too much crack!”  He suggested a place in Quartzsite, trusting his advice as a local I agreed.   Arrived at the shop in Quartzsite just before midnight.

Sunday October 11, 2015 spent the entire day cleaning up the motorhome and doing laundry since the shop was closed Sundays.

Monday October 12, 2015 7:45 AM the shop, which by its name proclaimed to be the best, opened and they started working on the Cortez.  Within about 90 minutes the Cortez was repaired.  The ignition coil within the HEI distributor had failed.  Cost $119.  I considered myself lucky that they had the part on hand and was on my way.  So confident that I even posted on Facebook that repairs were complete.  Spent the rest of the day tooling around town and catching up on my blog. 

As I was leaving town the Cortez began idling poorly, stalling and dieseling.  I managed to limp it back to the shop just before 4:00 PM when they close.  I was told they would get to it first thing the next day.

One of my Facebook friends, Fred Timmons, had given me a number of an acquaintance in Quartzsite.  I gave Thom Hill a call that evening and shared my dilemma.  When I told Thom which shop I was at he gasped.  This shop has quite a reputation for being less than straightforward.  Thom said he would come out with his friend Dennis and take a look at my rig on Tuesday morning before the shop opened. 

Tuesday October 13, 2015 6:45 AM.  Thom’s comments got me thinking.  I began looking at everything in the dog house.  What I discovered was spot on with Thom’s comments.  The power plug to the distributor had been just placed on enough to make contact and get me running again until it would vibrate loose breaking contact and leaving me stranded requiring another visit to the shop.  An old trick used by unscrupulous auto mechanics.  I secured the plug and waited until morning when Thom and Dennis showed up.  They agreed to follow me around town to make sure everything was AOK.  If not they were going to get me to a buddy of theirs for repairs.  We took off just as the shop opened much to the shady mechanic’s chagrin.  They made sure that everything was running good for me.  They declined my offer to buy them both breakfast.  They even followed me up the highway to the next exit just to make sure everything was good. 
 
My discovery-the scene of the crime
 
I continued on my way.  I made a stop in Blythe at Mead Automotive and RV Repair.  I could see by the number of RV’s of various makes and vintages here that this is where I should have gone.  I spoke with the owner about the incident and he told me that the tow company wouldn’t do business with his firm because he would not give them kickbacks.  I told him that both the shop in Quartzsite and the tow company picked the wrong person to try to take advantage of.  He was glad to hear that someone was going to give them their just desserts.
 
The worst
I can’t help but wonder how many people and how many times these firms have taken unfair advantage of those in difficult circumstances.  I have already filed a fraud complaint with my credit card company.  Upon my return their will be complaints filed with the AAA, the BBB, the Quartzsite Police Department and the Arizona Attorney General. 

I again want to express my gratitude to Fred Timmons, Thom Hill and his friend Dennis for their assistance.  I will return their good deeds by “Paying it Forward”.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment