Thursday, October 8, 2015

Yabba Dabba Doo???

After waking up Monday morning parked in the empty lot we spotted the night before, I realized that I had parked right across the street from the Williams Justice Center and Sherriff’s Office.  Well I guess I couldn’t have picked a safer spot.  Ate a hardy pancake breakfast at the Pine Country CafĂ© in Williams and then set out to walk the town. 
Not often that you see a MiG 15 at a truck stop.  This one was on its way to the Planes of Fame in Valle, Arizona
Headed north towards the Grand Canyon but that wasn’t the day’s destination.  About halfway between Williams and the Grand Canyon in Valle, Arizona is the Flintstones Bedrock City theme park and campground built in 1972.  I had to stay at this roadside attraction.  The buildings look exactly like those on the cartoon.  Constructed of shotcrete and painted garish colors, it was Bedrock.
 
Wilma...I'm home!
While the exteriors look spot on the interiors were dark and dank.  It had rained very hard that morning and water streamed in everywhere from the ceilings.  This place was old and worn out much like the people running it.  It was like passing a really bad traffic accident that you could not look away from.  Such a shame as so much traffic passes here on the way to the Grand Canyon.  I watch several carloads of families go into the gift shop and come right back out and keep going`.  I found the state of decay morbidly fascinating.  I decided not to risk a case of pterodactyl ptomaine and passed eating at Fred’s Diner.  Instead I walked next door and visited the Planes of Fame Air Museum.
Western Airline Convair 240 at the Planes of Fame Air Museum
 
 
Flintstones Bedrock City is for sale along with the 30 acres of land that the park is located on.  Asking price $2 million!  Left Bedrock for the Grand Canyon Tuesday morning. Good luck Fred!  
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Great comments on the flintsones dated roadside distraction! How's the Cortez handling the altitude?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cortez seems to be handling the altitude better than I am.

    ReplyDelete